What Is an Infrared Sauna?
Saunas have long been used for their potential health benefits and for relaxation. Research has shown that saunas can help improve mental health cardiovascular health and detox the body. While traditional saunas heat up the air and may have some steam mechanisms, infrared saunas are a newer type of heat therapy which have been popularized in the last decade. Infrared saunas for detox have also become popular in rehab clinics like The River Source.
Infrared saunas emit far-infrared heat, a wavelength of red light, from a special lamp. It uses infrared heat waves to directly heat the user and the structure itself, providing greater health benefits than traditional saunas. This process allows infrared saunas to operate at a lower temperature while still providing a therapeutic effect. The temperature inside infrared saunas typically lands between 110 to 135 degrees Fahrenheit. In comparison, traditional saunas fall between 150 F to 195 F, making infrared saunas far more comfortable to be in. Infrared saunas penetrate infrared heat waves deep into the body’s core, creating a deeper level of detox than traditional saunas.
Spending 5 to 20 minutes in a sauna can bolster several therapeutic and health benefits. A short period of time in a high-heat environment will cause your body to attempt to cool itself by pushing blood flow away from the core and toward your skin, dilating blood vessels, increasing circulation, and causing excess sweating. These mechanisms can help the body flush out various toxins, including drugs and alcohol. Whether you are trying to flush substance abuse from a hard night of partying or after prolonged drug abuse, saunas can help you feel better more quickly.
The heat from a sauna increases circulation in the body to relieve various aches and pains. It also has relaxing effects which can reduce stress and anxiety. As the body heats up, it stimulates growth hormone production which is essential in healing mechanisms in the body to regenerate tissues and increase bone growth.
For more information on how our addiction treatment programs can help heal drug or alcohol dependence, please give The River Source a call at 866-828-6792.
6 Chemicals the Body Can Detox in an Infrared Sauna
Toxins and chemicals in the environment, smoking, food, drugs, and alcohol can build up in the body causing a range of health issues including fatigue, digestive issues, and a general feeling of unwellness. Build up of some of these toxins is believed to lead to diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and certain cancers.
Our bodies are made to filter these toxins efficiently through the liver and kidneys when we are in good health. However, drug and alcohol abuse can damage these organs and increase toxins circulating in our systems, which can cause a buildup. Changes to lifestyle due to substance abuse such as lack of sleep, exercise, hydration, and nutritious meals can also negatively affect our body’s ability to efficiently clear out toxins, including environmental ones.
Infrared sauna for detox can help our bodies move out these toxins more easily and efficiently, including the following toxins:
- Drugs and alcohol— All substances contain toxins that are harmful to the body, especially the chemicals many drugs are cut with. Ethanol from alcohol and chemicals in cigarettes will harm organs, tissues, and other systems.
- Heavy metals— We are constantly exposed to heavy metals like lead, mercury, and arsenic through air and water pollution, industrial exposure, food, coated food containers, and medicines. They can cause several health effects by binding to parts of your cells that prevent organs from doing their job.
- Harmful chemicals in our food— Processed foods contain many harmful chemicals, which slow down the body’s ability to detox naturally and cause these toxins to remain active for longer periods. Dyes, preservatives, hormones, dioxins, and pesticides found in foods can all be toxic. Eating clean, organic foods is best and can help clear out the body.
- Pollutants in the environment— We are constantly breathing in pollutants and absorbing them through our skin as well. Exhaust from cars, ozone, and pesticides are just some of the few pollutants in the air which can build up in our system.
- Dead cellular material— Cells in our bodies are constantly being produced and killed off. The liver and kidneys are also responsible for clearing these dead cells out of our body, however when other toxins such as alcohol and drugs are built up, these dead cells are also not being filtered out. They continue to float around our circulatory system as garbage causing fatigue and a feeling of unwellness.
- Bacteria and viruses— Our bodies are constantly bombarded by bacteria and viruses. When our circulatory system is sluggish from other toxins, it can cause bacteria and viruses to lay root and cause sickness. They are also constantly generating more and dying off. Dead bacteria and virus material can also build up and float around our circulatory system, causing a buildup of toxins.
Can You Sweat Out Drugs in an Infrared Sauna?
While you cannot sweat out drugs and alcohol through your skin, saunas can still help the body more quickly and efficiently via the lymphatic system, liver, and kidneys. Various studies have shown that saunas can effectively and efficiently help the body flush out toxins, including from drugs, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals, through the biological effects that result from time in a sauna. Infrared heat waves from infrared saunas penetrate deep into the core, promoting a deeper level of detox than ordinary saunas. As blood flow is directed away from your core and toward the skin, blood vessels dilate, increase blood circulation, and you begin to sweat. Improved circulation helps to move toxins from drugs and alcohol out through the body’s filtration system faster. You also need to drink plenty of water while in a sauna, which will also help detox the body more quickly.
An infrared sauna for detox is a great complementary treatment to traditional medical detox services. Individuals going through drug and alcohol withdrawals will find infrared saunas beneficial to help them reduce withdrawal symptoms and complete the process much more quickly. It can also provide a great space to relax and meditate, as recovery can be quite stressful.
The River Source Has Infrared Sauna and the Help You Need to Defeat Addiction
The River Source, with multiple locations in Arizona, is a holistic addiction treatment center. Our integrative approach uses various naturopathic therapies in conjunction with conventional treatment methods to help our clients heal from the effects of substance abuse more easily. Part of our naturopathic approach includes an infrared sauna for detox. While clients have access to our infrared sauna throughout addiction recovery, we find it especially helpful during the initial withdrawal process. Our detox program also includes nutritious, on-site prepared meals, oral and IV vitamin therapy, oral and IV amino acid therapy, massage therapy, yoga, and meditation to promote healing and aid in natural detoxifications. More importantly, our medical detox continues to use medication-assisted treatment, including FDA-approved medications for relieving withdrawals and cravings. Every client is also monitored 24/7 by our medical team to ensure safety and provide comfort.
If you or a loved one are struggling with drug or alcohol abuse and would like to learn more about our naturopathic treatments for easier detox, please give us a call today at 866-828-6792.